How to Improve Ride Comfort, After Changing from 15" to 17" Rim

tungkelly

freshman
Changed to 17" rim last year, but realize I really miss the original ride comfort of my car.

A friend of mine gave a suggestion to change to adjustable suspension to improve comfort while keeping the 17" rim.

However, stock suspension was already at 'comfort' setting. Therefore my question is, will buying an adjustable suspension improve my ride's comfort after changing the rim size?

BBphire

junior
I doubt buying an adjustable suspension can improve your ride's comfort after changing the rim size. Usually there are 2 types of rims either casted rims or forged rims.

Most sports rims are manufactured by casting; pouring of the molten metal into the mold. Casted rims are much cheaper than forged rims due to the manufacturing process. Forged rims are lighter. The lighter rims magnify the handling performance of the car as it works better with the suspension. Lighter rims works well during acceleration too. Which one are you using then?

papala

freshman
It is said that adjustable suspension can improve ride's comfort which is true. Some new cars are sold with adjustable suspensions, while other adjustable setups are offered as “aftermarket” solutions, meaning the individual customer buys them and have them installed. But whether OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or aftermarket, today’s adjustable suspensions typically allow adjustment of one or more of the following parameters. Well, rims does affect your car's performance. For your information, there is a big difference between 15" & 17" rim. Bigger rims causes loss of power but better handling & stability.

udinawang

freshman
some people change rim 17 just for their satisfaction. Btw, what kind of car are you mention?
Post automatically merged:

It is said that adjustable suspension can improve ride's comfort which is true. Some new cars are sold with adjustable suspensions, while other adjustable setups are offered as “aftermarket” solutions, meaning the individual customer buys them and have them installed. But whether OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or aftermarket, today’s adjustable suspensions typically allow adjustment of one or more of the following parameters. Well, rims does affect your car's performance. For your information, there is a big difference between 15" & 17" rim. Bigger rims causes loss of power but better handling & stability.
Yup agree!!! 15 to 17 is a big difference,. So u need to do someting with ur power of engine performance too

jailani80

freshman
im doubt too... Are bigger rim size really ruining ride quality????

BBphire

junior
Yup agree!!! 15 to 17 is a big difference,. So u need to do someting with ur power of engine performance too
Like BMW 3 Series and Ford Mustang. Both cars comes with installed adjustable suspension. Therefore these cars will not have slow acceleration or poor fuel economy.

papala

freshman
im doubt too... Are bigger rim size really ruining ride quality????
In general, larger wheels are heavier, and additional weight hinders performance.
You have several things to consider if you are going from 15″ to 17″ rims but you also have to take rim width and tire aspect ratio into account. Also the rim “offset” is very important, it determines how far the tire sticks out or moves inward towards the car. A bad offset can make ruin the handling characteristics of the car. Also you have to make sure that the wheel well clearance is correct so the tires do not rub on the fenders when you turn or hit a bump. The best way to get a rough compromise is to go to a lower aspect ratio. For instance, going down one size is roughly equal to 1″ of rim size. If your original wheel is say a 195/60/15 you could probable go to a 205/45/17 and have a good fit (you will still need to do your homework to make sure). One important thing to check on is what sizes were offered as options on the car you have. 15″ would usually be used on base models with 16″ or 17″ offered as options on the higher end models. If there is a 17″ option you can use that rim and tire size and be good to go. Many tire store web sites will provide a list of rim and tire options that are safe to use on your make and model of car. As rim size increases it leads to increase in weight, which has adverse effect on fuel economy. So its better to use rim which is originally given by the manufacturer . They doesn't simply select the rim size, they do it after various calculations and analysis. So use it as it is given. If u feel that the design is not good then look for the alloy wheels of different design with similar size.

Last edited:

BBphire

junior
In general, larger wheels are heavier, and additional weight hinders performance.
You have several things to consider if you are going from 15″ to 17″ rims but you also have to take rim width and tire aspect ratio into account. Also the rim “offset” is very important, it determines how far the tire sticks out or moves inward towards the car. A bad offset can make ruin the handling characteristics of the car. Also you have to make sure that the wheel well clearance is correct so the tires do not rub on the fenders when you turn or hit a bump. The best way to get a rough compromise is to go to a lower aspect ratio. For instance, going down one size is roughly equal to 1″ of rim size. If your original wheel is say a 195/60/15 you could probable go to a 205/45/17 and have a good fit (you will still need to do your homework to make sure). One important thing to check on is what sizes were offered as options on the car you have. 15″ would usually be used on base models with 16″ or 17″ offered as options on the higher end models. If there is a 17″ option you can use that rim and tire size and be good to go. Many tire store web sites will provide a list of rim and tire options that are safe to use on your make and model of car. As rim size increases it leads to increase in weight, which has adverse effect on fuel economy. So its better to use rim which is originally given by the manufacturer . They doesn't simply select the rim size, they do it after various calculations and analysis. So use it as it is given. If u feel that the design is not good then look for the alloy wheels of different design with similar size.
I think it is still possible to change rim size but maybe tungkelly tungkelly can improve the flaws by using a powerful fuel which is already in the today's market. There's nothing to worry about the fuel consumption as this fuel is fuel efficient and it also improves the driving performance. In other words, you can actually use 17'' rim without having to worry about your ride's comfort.

papala

freshman
I think it is still possible to change rim size but maybe tungkelly tungkelly can improve the flaws by using a powerful fuel which is already in the today's market. There's nothing to worry about the fuel consumption as this fuel is fuel efficient and it also improves the driving performance. In other words, you can actually use 17'' rim without having to worry about your ride's comfort.
Yup, I totally agree with BBphire BBphire suggestion. In my experience also i have used petrol that give similar powerful driving that is primax 97. I think coz of their fuel tech is really good? Can anyone confim? Haha.

Last edited:

BBphire

junior
yeah...I can list down here for you.
1) Power - 100X cleaning power to deliver perfect cleanliness like new engine
2) Responsiveness - Enhanced Dual Friction Modifier technology reduces friction by 25% or more. 89% molecular interaction working across fuel and oil systems to sustain engine efficiency in the long run. Contribute to sustainability

papala

freshman
When using the fuel even if you want to change tire rim bigger than 17'' wouldn't be an issue because this fuel gives you the power to work your car engine. It will not be sluggish. In fact your car engine will improve due to sustainability.

Last edited:

udinawang

freshman
I am impress with ur explaination.. very details and logic! i never thought of the difference between rim size and driving comfort before dis
Post automatically merged:

By using Petronas Primax 97 with Pro-Race even if you want to change tire rim bigger than 17'' wouldn't be an issue because this fuel gives you the power to work your car engine. It will not be sluggish. In fact your car engine will improve due to sustainability.
will this theory also help vehicle speed and engine efficiency for long time??

BBphire

junior
When using the fuel even if you want to change tire rim bigger than 17'' wouldn't be an issue because this fuel gives you the power to work your car engine. It will not be sluggish. In fact your car engine will improve due to sustainability.
The 97 it self is popular with mileage also. I thought its only me who feels this. But my friends also feels the same. Hands down giving us better driving experience.

Last edited:

papala

freshman
udinawang udinawang yes, it will. Due to less friction and no formation of deposit in the engine surface, this will increase the engine efficiency at the same time can preserve the condition of the engine in the long run. Plus their oil is the one who develop F1 oil maaa.

Last edited: