Buying clothing, personalising and selling on

lplp68

freshman
Good Evening
My wife is looking to start up a small business selling personalised items.
I just wanted to ask for some advice about personalised clothing. What are the rules around buying items of clothes (e.g. plain white t-shirt) from Giant’s, Mydin’s etc printing some text or image (her own designs) and selling on?

majorminor123

freshman
You’d be better off signing up to a wholesale clothing supplier. Prices will be much better than hypermarkets etc and a lot of the brands have tear out labels to make them look more professional.
There’s no rules as such but I’d advise against using tshirt transfers if she’s selling them. What sort of equipment are you planning on using to print the text/images?

RomieTan007

freshman
Not my industry, but I would argue there are rules, particularly regarding text and images. If truly her own work she should be fine, but in today’s world she has to be careful against copyright claims, where another company feel she is infringing on their rights.
Disney is a prime example, even having a character that looks like or is called something similar to theirs could result in action. Just make her aware to be truly original.

lplp68

freshman
Thank you for the insights... i think this way supposed cut our production cost too. Let say i want to sell this around my residential area, i can set up a tent. What about selling online should i hire someone to make my own website for the brand?

batkoo88

freshman
Your plan on selling clothes is in one of a very competitive market like f&b and cosmetics. The way to thrive is u have to do something unique, or sell cheaper than most of other seller. With the right marketing and promotion, your brand should achieve good profit.
Thank you for the insights... i think this way supposed cut our production cost too. Let say i want to sell this around my residential area, i can set up a tent. What about selling online should i hire someone to make my own website for the brand?
Something that i learnt from masterclass that i went u can setup posters and sticker, you can pay slight amount of rent to place stickers at kedai mamak, or make small flyers for u to distribute urself. For online, just use someting simple like wordpress tools just drag and drop, put your product online through lazada and instagram. This way can cut some cost already.

Last edited:

lplp68

freshman
Your plan on selling clothes is in one of a very competitive market like f&b and cosmetics. The way to thrive is u have to do something unique, or sell cheaper than most of other seller. With the right marketing and promotion, your brand should achieve good profit.

Something that i learnt from masterclass that i went u can setup posters and sticker, you can pay slight amount of rent to place stickers at kedai mamak, or make small flyers for u to distribute urself. For online, just use someting simple like wordpress tools just drag and drop, put your product online through lazada and instagram. This way can cut some cost already.
That is quite some ideas. Btw, i generally know what i have to do for me and my wife to start the business, but not sure what is the right process for these to happens. The idea is there but to execute is abit hard.

batkoo88

freshman
That is quite some ideas. Btw, i generally know what i have to do for me and my wife to start the business, but not sure what is the right process for these to happens. The idea is there but to execute is abit hard.
No worry lah, i was on your position before, what i can say really is starting business really require you to have the right knowledge. I can recommend you to go to this masterclass for a start. https://roar-point.com/marketing-branding-masterclass/

lplp68

freshman

batkoo88

freshman
Thanks alot. Check the website, seems cheaper if sign up for 2 pax. I should decide first with my wife if we want to attend this first.
If u have hesitation about the masterclass u should review the company first but i had a good time attending them. The guru is Mr. Long Yung Siang, i was his fan because i read some of his books like Rethink your Marketing Questions and Answer, Lets do this, 500 Questions. If you want to try just look at their free class https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-m...st-pandemic-market-event-tickets-150713575361